About

I joined the Mathematics Department at Mary Washington College in the fall of 1994, after  earning my PhD in Statistics from the University of Michigan in 1993.  My bachelors degree is also from Michigan, in Applied Mathematics and Zoology.  I also have a Masters Degree in Mathematics from the University of Texas at San Antonio, with a concentration in Statistics.

My interests are in mathematics and statistics education, including service learning, undergraduate research, and other experiential-based methods.  I am also interested in developing on-line courses for my department. I occasionally provide statistical advice and consulting to faculty and students at UMW and also to individuals off campus. I am also very interested in mathematical art, particularly tessellations and geometrical art, and in methods for producing art digitally.  I have had several artworks selected for the annual Mathematical Art Exhibition at the Joint Mathematics Meetings.

Working with Stephen Davies in the Computer Science Department, I have helped to establish a regular program of interdisciplinary undergraduate research projects for students to work on projects for the Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center. I am currently serving as a Councilor for the Mathematics and Computer Science Division of the Council on Undergraduate Research and hope to expand undergraduate research opportunities here at UMW.